Welcome back to the blog & Social media detoxing.

 Here we are again, trying to revamp this blog, giving it a breath of life! You may notice I've given it a bit of a much-needed make-over, even down to the name! I think a part of the fact I never wanted to write was because it felt a little childish, and still, the thought of all my old, hilarious, posts being on here is not the most comfortable feeling, but they'll get buried soon enough! (They're all still there though, and I would suggest a read through some of them if you fancy a bit of a laugh!)

So yeah, welcome back to my blog, I'm thinking I'll probably update this a bit more often at the moment as I've deleted Instagram and Twitter off my phone (more on that in a minute), so all the little updates and photos I'd usually post on there have nowhere to go and I have no one to share them with so they're going to go here!

The reason I've deleted these apps off my phone probably isn't that much of a surprise, there seems to be a sort of awakening of people realising the dangers of having the constant updates and busyness of the world at our fingertips 24/7. The world and the people in it are under so much weight and stress at the moment, and for me, seeing that every day, having problem after problem refreshed on my feed every hour was taking a real toll. My head was focusing on the mess of the world, so I was taking my eyes off the Creator, which obviously, is not a good thing. Then there's the other element to it, which is that I am addicted to opening Instagram. I think a lot of us suffer from this, but it's not addressed as most addictions, it's not called out, or thought of as a bad thing, people just seem to accept that we look at our phones all the time. Any time there's a bit of silence or you've stopped being busy for a second, you open your phone, or even you scroll down Insta until you've seen all you can, then you put your phone down, and then pick it back u 3 seconds later to check insta again. Maybe that's just me, and I do need a serious detox, but if you're reading this and you relate in any way, think about doing one too! When was the last time you just sat? Without your phone in your hand, or the TV on, like just sat, for more than 3 minutes? What about the last time you felt a lull in a conversation and didn't reach for your phone? Or, this is particularly a problem in our house, when was the last time you spent some meaningful time with the people you love, like playing a game, without also paying attention to your phone? Now don't get me wrong, our phones are amazing, they can keep us connected to people that live miles away instantly, and our devices have been key to keeping most of us sain this year particularly, but do you really want to be a slave to the device in your pocket? I sure don't.

So I've started by deleting social media and any silly time-wasting games I had on my phone. I know social media was wreaking havoc on my spiritual welfare, and I know I only downloaded most of those games to fill in gaps of time when I could've just been sitting, or praying, or anything else! Maybe one day I'll reinstall some of those things, but for now, I'm just walking away from them and putting other things first. If you're reading this and you relate in any way, I really would encourage you to look at some of the things you consume on your phone, or tv, or Netflix, or whatever, that is hurting you and walk away from it! It can be hard, but it'll be so good, trust me!

Thank you so much for reading my rather rambly thoughts. I'd love to read your thoughts on social media, and how it may have affected you especially in lockdown, etc, so feel free to leave a comment below!

Comments

Popular Posts